bitter sanity

Wake up and smell the grjklbrxwg, earth beings.

Monday, November 17, 2003

[posted by jaed at 8:38 PM]
Don't give them ideas
Gene at Harry's Place saw an ad for a restaurant named "Michael Moore". It turned out that the Moore for whom the restaurant is named is not the famous MM, but it inspired this brief fantasy:
The walls would be decorated with deer rifles and anti-gun-control bumper stickers. The wait staff would wear cowboy boots and George W. Bush masks. The only items on the menu would be chicken-fried steak and Budweiser, and anyone who tried to order vegetables would be laughed at and called a goddam sissy before getting dragged out and beaten up in the back alley.
There are, as Gene says, many possibilities. The shuddersome thing about this is that if I read about such a restaurant - for real - it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. The dislike-shading-into-hate, the stereotyping, seems just that bad to me.

Damn. Maybe I should seek venture capital and open it myself. A chain of such restaurants would make a killing in Britain.

I'm just hoping we get through the next few days without someone taking a shot at Bush, and without anyone getting killed or seriously hurt. It will be ugly, hurtful, and damaging to this long-time alliance, and the most optimistic outlook I can manage is that perhaps it won't be any worse than that.

ON THE OTHER HAND: via Instapundit, I find the Guardian (of all papers) telling us that British opinion is a bit more pro-visit than otherwise, with 43% welcoming it and 37% opposing. 62% said the US is generally a force for good. Hmmm. Definitely not the impression I've gotten, but then it's not as though I were in Britain. I don't know.


Powered by Blogger

 

Contact:
bittersanity@jaedworks.com

Archives:
current

Past archives