bitter sanity

Wake up and smell the grjklbrxwg, earth beings.

Monday, September 22, 2003

[posted by jaed at 11:13 AM]
The virtue (? maybe if you're a "paleoconservative") of unnecessary hard work
Regions of Mind has an interesting post on modernity, technology, and conservative views of same. It starts out as a review of a book review, but keeps right on going:
My mother is a (miraculously capable) lady in her 80s. When she grew up on a farm in North�Carolina�in the 1920s and '30s, her family made its own candles and sewed its own clothes. (The family did own a Model T, however.) When I took my kids down to the historic downtown of Brownville, in the far southeastern corner of Nebraska, about a month ago, we stopped by the quaint little broom shop there. The owner makes brooms of all sizes right in front of visitors. When I talked to my Mom by phone the next day, I told her about the store and asked her if her family had made its own brooms when she was a girl. Mom's reply: "We sure did." She told me the basic mechanics of how they did it.
"Let it be read by you," as Amritas is fond of saying.


Powered by Blogger

 

Contact:
bittersanity@jaedworks.com

Archives:
current

Past archives