bitter sanity

Wake up and smell the grjklbrxwg, earth beings.

Thursday, April 25, 2002

[posted by jaed at 5:32 PM]
I have no blog, and I must scream
Everyone's seen this picture.
Child dressed as a bomber
But I can't stop thinking about it. I look at it, and I want to snatch that little girl away from that man before he hurts her. It puts the most terrible thoughts into my head.

The Arabs are not much militarily these days, but they've been remarkable for the past few decades for innovation in finding new ways to kill someone's grandmother and maim someone's baby without anyone suspecting. And surely no one would suspect a child, perhaps entering a school or playground, of being a suicide bomber equipped with a remote-control switch.

Lileks noted, with the special horror of a man who's the father of a daughter himself, that the man in that picture must have had to tie the dynamite around her, look into her little face, answer her questions - "What's this, Daddy?" How long will it be, I wonder, before the dynamite is for real? How long before the inventors of the human bomb introduce to us... the child bomb? What will that father tell his child as he prepares to murder her?

So this is why I started this blog. (Aside: God, I hate that word.) I need some place to talk about these feelings, these suspicions, these apprehensions of disaster. Even if I'm only talking to myself. I've always been a surprisingly late adopter on the web, despite having been on the net since 1985. (The "first-wave" webloggers are still little newbies as far as I'm concerned.) I didn't even have a website until, I think, 1995 or 1996. I first thought about starting a weblog four years ago.

But I haven't needed somewhere to babble this bad until now. I might end up talking mostly about This Present Unpleasantness. I might not. I may rant about free speech, blatantly attack the copyright-aggregation industry for the greedy and malicious fools they are, yammer about community and how it forms naturally, and/or babble about beads.

We'll just have to see.


Powered by Blogger

 

Contact:
bittersanity@jaedworks.com

Archives:
current

Past archives